I really don't want to think right now about the ramifications of pervasive evil. It hurts me to consider that side of human society. But after talking with a reader of this blog today I stopped to reflect on it all. What a bad idea that was. I start to spin into a depressed mood. Anyway here is my FAQ, some of the few printable results of my latest ruminations.
Question: How do we Measure the Real Cost of the Scams of Madoff and Merkin, not to forget AIG, Bear Stearns hedge funds, Bear Stearns parent, Countrywide, Fannie Mae, Lehman, et. al.?
Answer: The real cost of the evil scams we have lived through this past year can be assessed by these simple conversions of human capital.
- All human trust funds that accumulated over all the days of our investing have been transferred into human distrust funds.
- All of the proceeds of our sincerity accounts have been moved into cynicism deposits.
- All of our deposits into honesty accruals have been sent to certificates of corruption.
- All accumulations of our truthfulness have been added to tranches of treachery.
- All the funds of our frankness have been wired into passbooks of fraudulence.
Question: Why didn't we detect the schemes in time?
Answer: Our teachers did not instill in us the need to be constantly vigilant. Our parents did not warn us loudly enough of the possible evil of evil persons.
Question: What do we do now?
Answer: We can now mourn the billions of credits in human integrity that we lost.
Question: Can't we put things back the way they were?
Answer: No. We cannot retrieve our former wealth of goodness and redeposit it into our accounts.
Question: Ok. How do you know this?
Answer: It is written. Qohelet 1:15 - What's bent cannot be straightened. What's missing cannot be counted.
מְעֻוָּת, לֹא-יוּכַל לִתְקֹן; וְחֶסְרוֹן, לֹא-יוּכַל לְהִמָּנוֹת.