2/22/09

Is Meet the Press Host David Gregory Jewish?

Yes, David Gregory is Jewish and embraces and practices Judaism.

We just received an email [HT to Mimi] with a link to his blog, "The View From Here. Updates from the Host of Meet the Press."

The top of the blog image today (and it may be the permanent image) is David overlooking the Dead Sea at sunrise.

And what a nice surprise. In a blog post of 2/18/09, "Making room for the spiritual," David extols his Shabbat experience and speaks about the Torah he has learned this week:
Over bagels and eggs this week a friend who is a well known Washington rabbi described “Aha!” spiritual moments. You know, those times in our lives, when we say, "Aha!" This is what it means to be alive and filled with a sense of purpose and meaning in our spiritual life.

I experience it when we gather as a family on Shabbat to put money in the Tzedekah box and take a moment to say who we are thinking of and how fortunate we are to be the hand that gives.

In my new job, I find the work week even more involved and absorbing than before so I am particularly comforted by a prayer I read in my siddur (prayer book). It thanks God for calling us to light the Sabbath candles because, without this mitzvah, I might have never slowed down enough to remind myself what life is really about and about the greater purpose we all have.

Speaking of purpose, I studied Deuteronomy with my teacher this past week and we focused on the idea that God “opens our hearts that we may live.” What does it mean to open your heart to someone else or to God?....more...

No comments: